OpenAI’s Dall-E 2 text-to-image generator has become the base for Midjourney to create AI art in few simple steps, which has attracted imaginative minds. Apart from creating visuals, users can also customize colours and textures using the algorithm that powers Midjourney.
Founded in July 2022 by David Holz in California, MidJourney enables common users with some imagination to create digital art from their smartphones. It has been completing 20 to 40 tasks per second with millions of users, and has raked in a revenue of more than 250 million.
Users turning to Midjourney for a seamless AI art experience are growing as you read this, and this article is going to provide a breakdown of the number of people using the platform, as well as its journey.
Midjourney Quick Facts
|Initial release||July 12, 2022|
|Created and hosted by||San Francisco-based independent research lab Midjourney, Inc.|
|Investors||Midjourney is self-funded, has no investors and already profitable|
|Version Release||First version V1 was released in February 2022 and latest V5.2 released in June 22, 2023|
|Number of Employees||11-50|
Currently the average waiting times for all of Midjourney’s models
Top 5 Midjourney User Statistics June 2023
- Midjourney currently has over 16 million users
- Ouf of 16 million users on Midjourney’s Discord servers, more than 1.5 million are online and active users.
- Midjourney.com gets approximately 28.5 million visits per month
- In June 2023, Out of 1.1 million Total social visits , Over 57% of Midjourney’s social media traffic comes via discord and 27% via Youtube
- Over 15% of Midjourney’s users are American
Midjourney’s User Growth
- Midjourney’s organic traffic went from zero to more than 400,000 within months from July 2022 to April 2023.
- Midjourney receives around 4 million visitors every month and the platform is ranked 1,822 among websites across the globe in terms of monthly web visitors.
- Midjourney has also completed around 300 million tasks and attracts 90,000 new users every day.
- Interest in Midjourney surged by 16364% last year, and it is being searched around 1.2 million times a month. Midjourney went from 2.7 million members in September 2022, to more than 15 million by May 2022.
- It took Twitter around 24 months to reach 1 million users, but Midjourney had attracted 1 million people just 6 months after it was launched.
Here’s a breakdown of the approximate time taken to reach 1 million users for various online services:
|Online Service||Launch Year||Time Taken to Reach 1 Million Users|
* 1 million backers ** 1 million nights booked *** 1 million downloads
- Fuelled by its Reddit community and popularity on Discord, Mijourney’s user base saw a decline for the first time in May 2023. The Midjourney subreddit currently has over 594k members.
- Though Midjourney Subscribers is still increasing on Reddit as compared to StableDifussion.
Here’s how Midjourney monthly visits progressed over its last 3 months:
|Month||Number of Visits||Change Over Previous Month||Change Over Previous Month (%)|
|April 2023||42.74 million|
|May 2023||35.46 million||-7.28 million||-17.05|
|June 2023||28.53 million||-6.93 million||-19.54|
How many Midjourney users are there?
Midjourney has more than 15 million users which are growing at the rate of almost 100,000 a day and 60% of those are aged 34 or younger. It currently attracts almost 4 million users every month.
Midjourney User Stats
According to Similarweb, Midjourney.com has been visited approximately 28.53 million times over the last 30 days. That’s an decrease of -19.54% from May 2023’s 35.46 million.
Midjourney has a bounce rate of 32.83%.
Each Midjourney visitor views an average of 6.51 pages per visit. And each user spends an average of 6 minutes and 30 seconds on the website.
Here’s how Midjourney compares to other competitors in terms of monthly visitors:
|Website||Total Visits||Bounce Rate||Pages per Visit||Average Visit Duration|
|Midjourney||28.53 million||32.83%||6.51||6 mins 30 secs|
|Stable diffusion||6.04 million||40.23%||3.02||3 mins 9 secs|
|YouTube||9.1 billion||39.87%||10.64||6 mins 53 secs|
Midjourney user behaviour statistics
Users are attracted to Midjourney thanks to a low subscription fee between $10 to $60 per month. Only 32% of Midjourney users say that they are using the platform for utility as majority just use it for fun and 45% share their images on Instagram.
Close to 43% of those who use Midjourney have been found to have some kind of technical knowhow including coding. About 15% of users on Midjourney reported that they use AI chatbots rarely or never at all.
Midjourney by gender and age
More than 64% Midjourney users are male while 35% are female and the age group of 25 to 34 is the largest contributor to its traffic, with 37% users while 27% of users are between 18-24 years of age.
Midjourney By Region [June 2023[
The largest proportion of Midjourney users reside in the US (15.70%).
Second-placed India (7.84%) has less than half as many ChatGPT users.
Together, the top five countries make up almost one-third (37.15%) of all Midjourney users
Here’s the breakdown of Midjourney users by region:
|Rank||Country||Proportion of ChatGPT Users|
- Not confirmed but appears as if Midjourney is generating ~$200M a year in revenue.
- Oct 2022: 50m/yr
- Mar 2023: 200m/yr
- Projected end 2023: 300m/yr
Midjourney is one of the most successful and fastest growing generative AI for images after Dall-E and its surge doesn’t seem to slow down anytime soon.